Monday, February 17, 2014

The Village in 1937

Frank Wesley just sent me these incredible images, just a few of a collection of hundreds of negatives from the 1930s through 1950s that belonged to his grandfather, village historian Oliver Knapp. Needless to say, I am thrilled with them! This is the village as it has been described to me by my mother, my grandparents, and my friends at the historical society. Though I have many images of my family from this time, I had never seen an image of the old Goody Shop (with the Dakin House in the background!).

All of these images come from 1937, the same roll of film that contained the photo of the two little boys featured in my last post, and document a paving/sewer upgrade project carried out during that time. They show East Main Street, including (new) St. Mark's Church with the village hall and Gorham's fountain (known as "The Indian").





No comments:

Post a Comment