Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mysteries


Today I added 62 new memorials to the cemetery's Find A Grave page. I was also able to identify some graves that weren't on my transcription - either because I missed them in the Eaderley transcription, or Eaderley did! For example, this stone in the Methodist cemetery - Underhill S. Hall.


Thanks to the Eaderley transcription, I was able to identify the fragments below. They were part of the gravestone of William H. Mead, son of Jared and Elizabeth Mead, who died on July 9, 1836 at the age of 1 year and 6 months.


I couldn't do the same for this stone. It may be too far gone. I don't know what made it break down so badly - perhaps it's been lying on the ground for a long time, letting water gather on it.


Every time I go to the cemetery I find another mystery. Take a look at this stone - Thomas Seaman. For one thing, it's not in the Eaderley transcription, but that's not what's weird about it. Why is there no exact date of death ("July 1868")? Why was he "Buried at White [Plains?]." I will have to investigate this.


No comments:

Post a Comment