Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Civil War Photos: Alfred A. Stratton

I recently visited the Met to see the exhibit "Photography and the American Civil War" and ended up liking it so much that I bought the gorgeous catalog by Jeff Rosenheim. Today, as I was flipping through the pages, I came across the below image of Alfred A. Stratton of Company G of the 147th New York Volunteers. I recognized him immediately.


He is certainly the same person as the "Unidentified Soldier" pictured in this carte-de-visite in the Liljenquist Collection at the Library of Congress. The image in the LOC digital collection correctly identifies his company and regiment, but not his name.

CDV in Liljenquist Collection

Poor Alfred didn't live very long after these photos were taken. He died at age 29, allegedly from complications from his injuries. Berry Craig has written a biography of Stratton on the Orthotics and Prosthetics Business News website. There are actually quite a few photos of Stratton floating around, as he was photographed both for medical documentation and to help raise money to support himself after the war.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sad photo. He is dressed up with such magnificence but you can see the suffering in his eyes. It makes me think of Wilfred Owen's poem 'Disabled'- a young man whose life must have changed overnight. I have been listening to a wonderful series on Radio 4 called 'Disability: A New History' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b021mdwt I hope you can hear it in the US, I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete