Wednesday, February 13, 2013

3: Gilbert Marten

Grave of Gilbert Marten
Gilbert Marten is the longest-lived person buried in the cemetery.* When he died on June 16, 1854, he was 90 years, six months, and eighteen days old. His headstone is notable for its plainness; it's almost unfinished looking, but handsome and well-preserved. Its simplicity made me wonder if Gilbert was a Quaker (there are a handful buried in the cemetery, including Enoch Greene's wife Phebe).

The 1800 census only records the names of householders, while simply enumerating the other members of the household. From this record I know that 36-year-old Gilbert Marten, resident in the same town he was buried in, was living in a household with six white males and four white females (two over the age of 25, presumably Gilbert and his wife) and five slaves. Yes, slaves! Slavery wasn't abolished in New York State until 1827.

Although some Quakers did own slaves in the early Colonial Era, Quakers soon became fiercely anti-slavery and were prominent abolitionists - so I think it's pretty safe to say that Gilbert Marten was not a Quaker.** Of the other households listed on the census page with Gilbert Marten's, only one other household had slaves (and only one slave). I wonder what Gilbert's neighbors, many of whom would have been Quakers, thought of him. 

1800 US Federal Census
Fifty years later, Gilbert was living with John Matthews, age 20; George Matthews, age 16; and Mary Baum, age 18. What was his relation to them? Notably, Gilbert is the only one whose "value of property" is recorded. His property is valued at $10,000 (something like $260,000 today). Perhaps the three young people worked for him?

1850 US Federal Census
I haven't been able to determine if Gilbert Marten was related to the seven Martins buried in the cemetery. Nor have I been able to identify his wife or children (as mentioned, they are enumerated, but not named, in the census). I probably could if I did more in-depth research, like actually looking up the old Episcopalian records; I'll likely do this at some point, but after I've accumulated information on a lot more other people buried in the cemetery. For now, I can say with some certainty that Gilbert Marten was at one time probably one of the oldest and richest members of this community.


*That is, before 1914. I'm going from a transcript made at that time. A handful of people were buried in the cemetery after 1914, but I think it's fair to assume that they probably didn't live past 90. I could be wrong.

** Transcripts are most useful when you read them, which I learned after double checking the listing for Marten and realizing it already said he was an Episcopalian.

No comments:

Post a Comment