Sunday, June 21, 2015

Almshouse in Maps: 1901 County Atlas


The next view of the almshouse, from the 1901 county atlas, is somewhat awkward, as the page cuts the area surrounding the almshouse in half. What is notable, however, is the relatively detailed view of the almshouse that this map provides. You can clearly see the large main building and many outbuildings, as well as the fact that the almshouse is sandwiched between two large estates belonging to two wealthy men, John D. Rockefeller and James Butler, respectively. In fact, the almshouse seems to be located on the property of James Butler. I am somewhat confused by the parcel marked "John Brown." Is this part of James Butler's estate, or a separate property? I expect I will find out when I get around to reading all of the material that I have recently accumulated!

No comments:

Post a Comment