Sunday, January 12, 2014

Finding Graves


Today I went to the cemetery to take some photographs for my new obsession, Find A Grave. While I have used Find A Grave for ages, I've only recently begun to add my own entries to it. At the lecture on Saturday, I met Barbara M., a member of the North Castle Historical Society who has worked with them to compile transcriptions from the town's historic cemeteries into a book. After seeing the result, I was inspired to work on the spreadsheet of transcriptions of the St. George's/St. Mark's Cemetery that I've been compiling over the past year. Find A Grave is the perfect way to keep track of all the photos I've taken for this project and access them easily.

In seeking out stones that haven't yet been photographed for Find A Grave, I found some that I'd never seen before (or at least remembered seeing). This stone is unusual - can you tell why?


As far as I know, no other stone lists only the mother on the gravestone of a child. If a stone lists one parent, it lists both. Was Elizabeth Clark a single mother?


Another mystery: Whose stone is this? I believe we found this fragment in the restoration last spring, but I have yet to match it with a name. "Joseph son of Hiram ..." is not listed in Eaderley's transcription of the 1910s, which suggests to me that the stone may have broken before then. Close by is the stone of Theodore G. Sarles, the son of Hiram and Ellen L. Sarles. Perhaps this is his brother.


Remember the Haines family? The stone of matriarch Martha Dingee Haines is nicely preserved as far as its legibility, but obviously needs a bit of work.


This is the only stone I have seen in the cemetery that has a Christogram. As you may recall, Mary and Luke Rooney were Irish immigrants. I have, however, seen it on gravestones in the nearby, contemporaneous Catholic Cemetery. Maybe someone can enlighten me - is the Christogram more of a Catholic than a Protestant symbol?


2 comments:

  1. fascinating. sorry to be in the middle of the country, otherwise I'd help! wonderful stories of perseverance and hard work. thank you!

    ReplyDelete